Thursday, December 27, 2018

Audio Kill Switch


So... I mic'ed my snare and connected it to a guitar pedal and cranked all of the delay effects I have. The end result was a cool dub sound. I was like - yeah this is awesome, but I need to be able to turn it on and off throughout a song. I went to the store - a lot of stores and no one had a kill switch. SO... I built one.

Materials:
  • 2 quarter inch connectors. 
  • 2 wires
  • on/off switch (in this case I pulled my potentiometer out of a broken vacuum cleaner)
  • wood and plastic that I found. 
  • Paint

Total cost: 2 euros

*disclaimer: i am obviously no expert in any of this - but seems to me that all of the schematics I read on this subject were garbage. In this scenario we are just shorting the circuit. Will it blow my house up? Probably not. Will it work? Yes.













Killswitch Schematics















Key Learning
  • Sound passes through the tip
  • Casing should be metal to limit buzz - in this prototype I used aluminum foil
  • It needs to be grounded
  • Wires should be encased in netting also for buzz
  • Potentiometer should be metal so I can stomp the shit out of it


No comments:

Post a Comment